Monday, October 5, 2009

Monarch Butterfly - A Birth Day

This morning - flashlight in hand - I checked on my cocoon to see if there was any change. Didn't look any different than it had from the night before. I knew we had to be getting close. Today makes 3 weeks of being cocooned. Unfortunately, I had to work today.

But, fortunately - my husband only worked a half day. He came home a little after 2:00 to the following sight ---




The Monarch had hatched and he'd missed capturing it probably by minutes.
Why the caterpillar chose to nest on the underside of the carport I'll never know. The poor butterfly had trouble keeping a grip and finally fell to the gravel below.
Knowing that the butterfly shouldn't be touched - my husband used a stick for the butterfly to crawl onto so he could move him to a safer location.
The trellis on the fence was the perfect spot - full sunshine and far enough off the ground for the butterfly to be comfortable.
Sunning - trying to get blood flow into wings and get warm enough to fly.


It's a boy! Notice the black dots on the lower set of wings. Males have them - females don't.


About 4:15, after climbing higher on the trellis - the Monarch took off in flight and went next door to the neighbors tree.

All that is left of our winged little friend....

Happy Birthday Monarch Butterfly. Safe travels.

2 comments:

  1. Very, very, very cool!! Great pics, too!

    Thanks so much for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea!!!! I am just now reading your blog, didn't even know you had one till I looked at your profile, this is as far as I have gotten, though, and my oh, my, what great pictures you have and it's a Boy!!! Thank you for sharing. 8-2010 OD

    ReplyDelete